Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My Impression of a Misunderstood Writer

As I approached the Beer Barn, the classy establishment the book club that I’m just barely an active member in intended to meet, I recognized the person walking out and toward me. I knew who he was immediately, because his face is on the cover of the book that I just read. Actually, his mug was not on my copy of the book. The book has two covers and I purposefully chose the cover that wouldn’t stare at me while using the bathroom. “What’s up,” I said. This was my usual non-intimate greeting. “This guy inside kept telling me about painting his kitchen. He asked if I wanted to help, but I don’t think that he was serious.” “Yeah, I know that guy,” I said. He gave me an odd look. “That guy or a guy like him?” “Definitely that guy. Did he tell you about the wagon?” “No.” “How many times did he tell you he has painted his kitchen?” I asked. “Thirty-two times.” “Seriously, or are you making that up?” “I’m making that up.”

It was amazing how naturally he led me right to the most important question I could ever ask him. “Is there any significance to the number thirty-two, or is it just a random thought?” I asked. “Nothing I say or write is completely random. Everything has significance.” “Shut up!” “No, really.” “Shut up!” “No, really.” This could have gone poorly if I had continued. I was afraid that the conversation was over, but I had a follow-up question. “So, what is the significance of thirty-two?” I asked. “It’s for my favorite basketball player, Magic Johnson.” “That’s it? Nothing profound? It isn’t symbolic, doesn’t deal with our conscious feeling of being tired and desire to rest, which is completely contrary to our fear of dying?” He slowly scratched his head. “I don’t even understand what you just said.” “I didn’t think so,” I said.

We looked at each other for quite some time. I wasn’t really sure what I was thinking, but his thoughts were electric images displayed in his eerily large eyes. He was ogling a young college student and swinging his right arm in a rigid, lifeless way. And then we parted.

No comments: